Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A little bit of home decor


 We have a couple of coffee tables in our sun room that have been in need of a covering for a while.













Recently I made these two table runners as a solution.
 I never used to be a fan for star blocks but I seem to have been bitten by the bug and enjoyed making these.
Linda's attention to detail in quilting the table runners have made them a very special addition to our home.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Foliage for our Forest Friends


It has taken a while to happen for the foliage to grow but at long last our Forest Friends have some fauna to add to their surroundings.








8 blocks were required for this part of the project.

Although the blocks look quite simple - the leaf blocks were rectangle shaped along with the triangles and they tripped me up several times before I got the placement right - not for the faint hearted.

One more selection of blocks required and then it will be time to piece them altogether.  Fireflies will be the last to add to the collection.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Hazel and friends



I have been endeavouring to complete one set of blocks (there are 6 sets in total) per month in my quest to finish the Fancy Forest quilt top.

I seem to have fallen by the way a little but finally I have completed the 6 required for Hazel Hedgehog and her friends.

Mr Google tells me that a group of hedgehogs is called an 'array'
so here's my array of hedgehogs.

My challenge for August is to make 6 thistle blocks - I guess our Fancy Friends need some foliage to hide amongst.














Sunday, July 30, 2017

A happy little boy

Further to my earlier post today, I received this delightful image of one happy little boy with his own special memory quilt.

Quilt label and a finish


Just as I did for the first memory quilt, a Dr Seuss quotation was required for the final touch to this memory quilt.













































With quilt label in place this busy little quilt finally got to go home to its owner.

I understand the quilt was going to be used to encourage this little man to graduate from his cot to his first 'big' bed.  I hope the process went well and he and the quilt are happily united.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Finishing touches

After piecing all the blocks together the quilt would not be complete without being machine quilted by my sister, Linda.

Echoing the shape of a fox garment gave the best finishing touch to this block.











This little whale is one of our favourites.

His/her water spout bears a strong resemblance to paisley shapes which are often used in quilting patterns.












This little boy is a real star in his family's life and Linda has given special emphasis to the stars in these blocks by echoing around them.














Maybe sometimes he might be a little monkey too?

















He probably has the heart of a very brave lion!

Nearly finished now.



Wednesday, July 19, 2017

In between times

I continue to make beanies and booties for the  Nursery Intensive Care Unit at Waikato Hospital.

I have tried a number of patterns and different wool weights and have settled for the following:-

Wool - Utiku 4ply baby wool - beautifully soft, lovely to work with and at $6 per 50gm (plus p and h) it works out at the best value for me.

Beanie - I use a 5mm crochet hook.  The beanie is designed to fit a baby's head 12 inches in circumference.


Booties - For these I use a 4.5mm crochet hook.  The pattern is in 2 sizes and I make the larger size - the booties should measure approximately 3.5 inches in length.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Moving right along


Moving along from making decisions for the design board I was then able to progress on completing the blocks.

Each block needed fusible interfacing and then the elements from the garments had to be backed with fusible web.

Additionally the individual pieces needed to be stitched to the blocks.





The whale block is now pieced and has submitted well to the process.

A pocket and star cover the gaps in the corners.













A combination of a  4 patch block, a sleeve of the garment and some manufacturers' labels for this block.













Lots of fun cutting and combining of some of the smaller motifs from baby garments.

Everything is well on its way towards completion.