Saturday, September 05, 2015

Highclere Castle


It was wet, the day we set out for Highclere Castle, but we were not going to let that stop us from seeing the property where Downtown Abbey had been filmed.

According to online information tickets for entry had been sold out, but if you turned up on the day you might be able to get tickets for entry.  We thought if we got there on opening time and with the weather in our favour we might just be able to get tickets and sure enough we did.

The setting for the castle and the grounds is every bit as grand as can be seen in the TV series.


No photo taking allowed inside the castle so Linda thought she had better take this one of me at the entrance, in the hope that Mr Carson, the butler might suddenly appear.

If I never get to see another castle I will be content with the Highclere Častle experience.  The architecture and decor is so worth drinking in.  The library, with over 5,000 books, the period furniture, wall hangings and pictures.

Discreet notices are placed throughout indicating different bedrooms and other areas used in the making of Downton Abbey.

I am sure we were not the only ones visiting because of the Downtown Abbey factor.

A huge highlight in our travels, I am ever so glad we made it to Highclere Castle.

The rain had really set in when we left but never mind, we had a great time there.

2 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

So clever to snatch tickets at the door. Obviously, there were some "fair-weather" visitors that didn't like the rain.

Jenny said...

What a lovely place to visit - we all loved Downton Abbey.. I'm sure if I lived there in the old days I would be one of the kitchen maids - hoping that one day my prince would appear so that I could live "upstairs".