Monday, October 14, 2013

How many variations?

I am still enjoying the process of making my modern style quilt.

One of the reasons I am making this quilt top is my fascination with how this block came together.

Nine patch blocks have been around forever.  A Google search of 'nine patch variations' brings up a whole myriad of images of what can be done with this block of humble origins.

This particular nine patch I am making is called 'floating disappearing nine patch'.

I found it here.  Rachel Griffith has created a pattern called 'Impromptu' and you can buy it in pdf format so you can have it delivered almost instantly via your in box.

The pattern was designed for layer cakes of fabric and that would yield a greater variation of patterned pieces in the whole work.  I used fat quarters from my stash and only had six different fabrics but am happy even with less variation.

I have no affiliation with Rachel but if you like to browse her patterns she has quite a nice range of modern style quilt patterns.

No comments: