Wednesday, March 28, 2012

More needle booking

Yesterday I started working on Rhena's needle book block.

I had some variegated silk thread which I stitched across two blocks in stem stitch.

I wanted to add some green silk leaves but upon searching my stash found I had none so what is a girl to do?

I hunted through my stash for some undyed 4mm silk ribbon.















I got out my favourite Olive green dye, diluted it with 50% water and wet the ribbon using an eye dropper.

I popped the ribbon in the microwave for 1 minute on high.

Checked it and popped it back for another 20 seconds.










 I took the dry silk ribbon and steam pressed it with my iron and, as a result, have the most lovely variegated olive green silk ribbon to do my stitching with.









Back to the block I went and added ribbon leaves to the stem stitch I did yesterday - did some loose french stitching at the base of each leaf in soft pink thread.

To the right of the block I then added a soft green velvet leaf that I bought in a craft shop in London about five years ago.  I decided it was about time I used it instead of just keeping it to look at.

A couple of grub roses, a little bit of silk ribbon work and some more loose French knots and I am all done.

Rhena's block is ready to move on to the next person in the round robin.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request to begin a round robin through this blog.  I now have enough participants and so, over the coming weeks, I should have lots of different bits and pieces to share as various blocks come and go from the two different round robin groups.  I hope you will find this to be as interesting as I do.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I love your addition to the block: you do beautiful work.