Wednesday, July 03, 2013

4 Hens, 5 Months, 500 Eggs

We bought our hens at the end of January.

It was a few weeks before they settled into a regular laying pattern but just the other day we chalked up 500 eggs in less than 5 months.

Certainly makes us feel they are worth having around.

Maintenance is minimal for our rewards.

We let the hens out for a while each afternoon and they love to explore and excavate the land in their own way.







Between us and the neighbours we have an area of no man's land we call the secret gully.  In the past it has always been lush with growth and at times a problem to us.  Overgrown no more.  The hens love this spot and rush down there each day to rummage for whatever hens rummage for.

When the sun begins to set we call for them with wheat grains for a treat.  They happily (and innocently) answer the call and go home to their little house and wait another 24 hours to do the same thing all over again.




4 comments:

jan said...

I never thought to keep count of the eggs my hens lay - I have 4 Rhode Island reds and two White Leghorns. And Then a little banty hen. I just love my chickens :)

Shay said...

Those hens of yours are doing a fabulous job. Wow-500 eggs !

Makes me want to have my own chooks even more...sadly we already have a zoo and I suspect the dogs and cats wouldnt get along with chickens.

Vicki said...

Sounds like fun to me! Do you keep all the eggs for your family?

FredaB said...

You are going to be putting an EGGS FOR SALE sign at the end of your road pretty soon.

Neat to keep count of them.

Hugs

FredaB