Monday, February 25, 2013

Living alongside nature

It has been a long hot summer and our dahlia bushes have thrived.

This one in particular has given us a multitude of flowers.  As well as the flowers giving us pleasure we always delight when we see bumble bees doing their business in and around the plants.

Yesterday I went to cut away the spent flowers and when I had finished the dahlia bush I also spent some time on the plants behind.

I had just completed and was stepping out of the garden area when I felt a sharp stinging sensation above the inside of my right ankle.

My first thought was that I had been bitten by a white tip spider and I wasn't very happy at the thought but when I lifted my trouser leg a bumble bee flew out.

He must have been in search of a flower but got caught between my socks and trouser leg and so gave me a sharp jab.

Linda administered some first aid and it was okay but an itchy sensation stayed with me for the rest of the day.

There is still some itchiness today but better than it was.  I will survive and I am glad it was not a spider bite.

I can't be mad at the bee, they do such a wonderful job for us in the whole scheme of things.

1 comment:

kathyinozarks said...

I am glad too you didn't get bit by a spider I think those can be worse than bee stings. beautiful flower. we are still in winter mode here where I live-anxious for warmer weather to return-have an awesome week ahead