Sunday, February 03, 2013

Our silk tree

Claudia at Mockingbird Hill Cottage is asking us to share our Favourite Things for her link party.

This silk tree over our patio is one of my favourite things about where we live.

Well thought out by the previous owners of the property, it provides lovely umbrella coverage in the summer.  In the winter it sheds its leaves so the winter sun can keep this area warm.
At this time of year the tree has the most beautiful delicate pink blossom.

Against the backdrop of the light green foliage, these are the sort of colours that could make one want to do some lovely old fashioned stitching, crazy quilt style, of course.
When I went under the tree this morning to try and capture some close up images I was surprised by the buzz of bees.

Oblivious to us human beings below the bees are up there, doing what bees do it keep us in honey and to assist with the absolutely necessary process of pollination.

Keep up the work, you bees, we really need you.


10 comments:

Diane said...

How pretty! I'm sure I never saw one of these before so thanks for posting!

Claudia said...

Oh my goodness! I've never seen a silk tree. Thank you for introducing it to us!

And thanks so much for joining in this week!

xo
Claudia

Kathleen said...

Your tree is so pretty. We have something similar but not the exact same tree in our front yard. It blooms all year and the birds love it.
Thanks for visiting my blog. I really enjoy crazy quilting but like you my wrist only lets me do a little at a time. Never mind. Just go with the flow. XX Kathleen

Nancy Blue Moon said...

Hi..I am sort of passing through and spied this..Isn't this a Mimosa Tree?? I have them growing on my property and one right along my driveway..Of course they are bare for Winter now but when they bloom they smell wonderful..

crazyquilter said...

Thank you, Nancy, you are indeed correct. We call them silk trees but a quick Google check confirms they are indeed mimosa trees. Never noticed a perfume on ours.

kathyinozarks said...

love the delicate flowers on your tree-similiar to my mimosa tree-I just noticed now on other comments that this is a mimosa tree lol-my tree has a delicate aroma too. you can dye with the leaves on this tree-gives you a beautiful yellow, but must harvest the leaves only when the tree is in bloom-Kathy

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Afternoon, What a beautifully shaped tree and the blossom is so beautiful. I have never heard of a Silk tree, but so glad you introduced it to us.
Have a lovely Sunday.
Best Wishes
Daphne

Sarah ~ Magnolias Attic said...

Oh my! My aunt had mimosa trees and I used to pick the fuzzy flowers and pretend they were powder puffs! You brought to mind a lovely memory!

Sally Annie Magundy said...

What a pretty tree, I don't think I've heard of a silk tree before! Love the pink of the blossoms.

Happy week to you!

Haworth said...

I have seen these trees before and never knew what they were. I love the pink "pom-poms" that grow on them. They are so delicate and such a surprising patch of color when you see them. You're so lucky to have it over your patio!